Pregnancy is one of the phases of life most women look forward too. However, pregnancy is not always beautiful. There are problems that may come along the way and one of them is swollen feet. It is something that should be taken seriously as it causes the women to feel stress and complain of discomfort. Swollen feet or edema is a result of excess fluid that accumulates in the tissues. When not dealt with properly, it causes painful feet. Fortunately, there are ways to address swollen feet during pregnancy. They are the following:
- Increase your intake of potassium-rich foods – One of the best ways to minimize swelling of the feet during pregnancy is by taking foods rich in potassium such as bananas. It helps maintain the electrolyte level in the body and at the same time prevents the accumulation of water.
- Foot elevation – To get rid of swollen feet, you should keep your feet in an elevated position. Doing so will promote proper blood circulation and prevents pooling of fluids in the feet.
- Drink dandelion tea – pregnant women are highly encouraged to drink dandelion tea as it has a miracle effect on reducing swollen feet. It works by balancing the level of electrolytes in the body.
- Apple cider vinegar – You should mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. Drink the mixture two times a day. Apple cider vinegar contains potassium, which helps balance the level of electrolytes in the body.
- Increase fluid intake – This sound absurd but it really works. Many women think that drinking too much fluid may lead to fluid retention. In reality, drinking too much fluid, especially water can keep the body hydrated and helps in flushing out excess toxins.
- Foot massage using arnica oil – Getting a good foot massage helps in alleviating soreness of the feet and muscles. It also helps alleviates aching joints. Using arnica oil is a great option as it has healing properties which aid in reducing inflammation and soreness.
- Saline water soak –To create saline water, mix a tablespoon of salt in lukewarm water. Place the feet in a tub and leave it there until the water turns cold. Saline water soak is effective in pulling out excess fluids residing in the tissues.
- Cucumber pack – Place cucumber in the fridge for at least two hours. Slice the cucumber and place on your feet. What the cucumber does is it will pull out excess toxins and water.
Swollen feet during pregnancy is common. About 80% of pregnant women experience having swollen feet. Although it is just a normal scenario, it does not necessarily mean that it is okay to have it. There are things you can do to somehow minimize the swelling and discomfort. Having a good air-condition system can make your pregnancy comfortable, so check out AC repairs Chaska. Follow the tips mentioned above for a stress-free pregnancy.